We have a charged agenda for our next meeting!
- The AGM – Members in good standing (i.e. whose fees are paid for the period June 1, 2022 to May 31, 2023) will be asked to approve the revised Constitution for the Society and to elect new Executive officers to some positions. If you need to renew your membership or if you have not previously received a copy of the proposed Constitution and are unsure who to contact, you can use the “Contact Us” feature on this website.
- Speaker – We will also have an opportunity to learn more about orchid culture, specifically how “Good roots grow good orchids”. Dave Miller (shown in the photo above) is the featured speaker. Dave has been growing orchids as a hobby for twenty years. He retired from the corporate Information Technology field after thirty-two years in various capacities of software support and development. He then spent three years in the horticulture industry as a perennial plant specialist at a local regional nursery. Dave and his wife, Mary Jo, live in Niles, Ohio USA. He is an active member of the Greater Akron (Ohio) Orchid Society after having been President and Program Chairman. In addition to GAOS he is also a member of the Orchid Society of Western Pennsylvania in Pittsburgh, the Greater Cleveland Orchid Society and the West Shore Orchid Society in Strongsville, Ohio. Dave is a volunteer orchid advisor for Fellows Riverside Gardens of Mill Creek Metroparks in Youngstown, Ohio. In addition, he is an accredited American Orchid Society orchid judge with the Great Lakes Judging in Ann Arbor, Michigan where he is currently the Education Coordinator. He frequently speaks on orchid culture topics to orchid societies and garden groups.
- Strawberry Social – We ask those members who can to bring treats, especially strawberry-themed treats, for us all to enjoy together as we socialize for the first time in ages. Masks are optional for this meeting in order for us to enjoy this aspect of the event. There will also be the possibility of attending the meeting via Zoom but you will have to supply your own treats 🙂 The link for the Zoom meeting will be sent to members in the week preceding the event as usual.
- Orchid Sales – With a return to in person meetings, we welcome back vendors who have orchids and orchid growing supplies for sale. OSRBG members are welcome to bring plants for sale or trade as well.
- Show Table – Due to time constraints, we will not have the traditional show table commentary. However, you are still encouraged to bring your beauties along for everyone to admire. In addition, we will have a procedure in place for everyone in the room to vote for the best orchid on the table and Pat Vuurman will say a few words about that specimen.
- Time and Place – This meeting will be held in Room 5, Royal Botanical Gardens, 680 Plains Rd. W., Burlington. The formal meeting starts at 2 pm but you are welcome to arrive any time after 1:30 to get settled and if attending on Zoom, to check the technology.